With Wisconsin’s rich dairy history, research regarding dairy cattle has been pertinent to the university since the inception of the College of Agriculture in 1889. In 1890, the Animal Husbandry Department was formed, which housed research regarding dairy cattle and dairy processing. The original dairy barn was built in 1898, which housed 36 cows and included a classroom for instruction. This original barn can still be found on campus, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Dairy cattle research continued under the Department of Animal Husbandry until 1938, when the Department of Dairy Husbandry was officially established.