Student Profile: Emma Gwidt BS’21

Name: Emma Gwidt

Hometown: Pulaski, Wisconsin

High School: Pulaski High School

Class Size: About 230

Farm: Double Nickel Dairy LLC

Major: Dairy Science with a Certificate in Agricultural Business Management

Why did you decide to attend UW-Madison?

I decided to attend UW-Madison because of the wealth of opportunities at our disposal. I knew that by attending UW-Madison, I would be able to pursue any path within the dairy industry.

What has been your most memorable college experience?

Thus far, my most memorable college experience was working as one of the co-chairs for the World Dairy Expo Grilled Cheese Stand. This stand is the largest fundraiser for Badger Dairy Club and UW-Madison Collegiate Farm Bureau. For this reason, it is a large responsibility and undertaking. I enjoyed meeting our major sponsors and have gained close friendships throughout the process of planning and executing this fundraiser.

What has been your favorite course?

My favorite course thus far has been Dairy Science 233 and 234. Both classes are heavily focused on various aspects of dairy farm management. I felt they were a great pre-cursor to my experiences while I interned. We also had various world-renowned guest speakers which made the class very valuable and applicable.

What are your future career goals?

Once I graduate college, I would like to pursue a career that involves working with dairy producers on their genetic and/or reproductive management programs. In recent years, dairy farms have had to be creative with their breed programs. Working with farms to develop these strategic breeding programs is of particular interest to me and I hope to have a career focused on this is some form in the future.